Designing a t shirt is a dream come true for most children. Creating paintings, drawings and clay figurines is fun, of course, but creating something that's wearable is extra special. Your kids can say "I made this!" to whoever they meet when they're out and about. When kids decorate blank clothing, they have a sense of pride, ownership, and their creative juices can really flow. Decorating blank clothing is inexpensive because wholesale blank t shirts can be bought cheaply on the Internet, and you probably already have acrylic paints and paintbrushes lying around the house.
Here's what you'll need to decorate wholesale blank t shirts:
Solid coloring blank clothing, either white or a light color.
Thick cardboard that can fit inside the blank t shirt.
Acrylic paints, fabric paints, glow-in-the-dark paints, or puff paints.
A range of paintbrushes, in thicker and thinner sizes.
Newspaper, for protecting your table.
To decorate wholesale blank t shirts, this is what you do:
1. If your blank clothing is brand new, wash it in the washing machine and dry it before painting on it. This will give you a firm, crisp t shirt to work with don't use fabric softener.
2. Lay the wholesale blank t shirts on a flat, sturdy clean surface covered with newspaper, and insert the cardboard between the front and back of the t shirt to prevent your design from seeping through.
3. If your wholesale blank t shirts have sleeves, tuck the sleeves behind the back of the t shirt so that your shirt is well stretched over the cardboard this will make painting easier and more precise.
4. Use acrylic paints and fabric paints to decorate your shirts. If you want to paint letters, use letter stamps or pencil in the letters using a soft, dark pencil like a 2B pencil. Note: If your child is going to wear the customized blank clothing in public places, it may be wise not to personalize the t shirt with his or her name for safety reasons.
5. If you want transfer an illustration onto your blank clothing, you first need to create the stencil of your child's illustration. With tracing paper, trace the design, then with a utility knife (adults will need to help here), cut out the positive space (i.e. the areas that should appear on the shirt) and leave the negative space. Then, hold the stencil firmly over the t shirt, and paint carefully, ensuring the stencil doesn't shift.
6. Using glow-in-the-dark paints or puff paints is a great way to make your blank clothing look funky and three dimensional. Once the paint is applied, a hairdryer should be blown over the puff paints to allow them to puff up.
7. Always allow wholesale blank t shirts to dry flat overnight or according to the paint manufacturer's instructions; they should not be washed until paint is completely dry. Decorated blank clothing is generally machine washable, but you should always wash shirts inside out to help protect the print.