Your Multifamily Commercial Mortgage.
A Multifamily property eligible for commercial financing is defined as a structure having at least 5 or more units with the residences for permanent habitation. The major factor in determining if you can qualify for a multifamily property commercial loan is based on the property itself. These some key criteria of a multifamily commercial property to make the property eligible for financing:
The Property Condition.
1. Signed leases with terms of 1 year or greater.
2. What are the number of bedrooms and bathrooms.
3. What is the history of the vacancy rates.
4. Do the units have separate utilities to bill the tenants directly.
5. Is your commercial multifamily property professionally managed.
6. Is there any deferred maintenance, property damage or functional obsolescence to address with the property.
7. Does the facility have a pool, clubhouse or tennis court and other amenities.
8. Is the property close to employment, education, shopping and attractions with public transportation and access to major streets and expressways nearby.
Not only are these characteristics important in determining if the property qualifies for financing, these are major factors in determining the value of the property.
The Property and Income.
In addition to the condition of the property the income as compared to the expenses of the property is key to determining both the value of the property and how much mortgage the property can qualify for. The greater the income is in relation to expenses qualifying for a commercial mortgage becomes easier with more options available. The best rates are offered by the lenders that are both conservative and accept the least risk. The most conservative lenders require 1.5 times the income to the expenses to qualify for financing. If property is in good condition and it has a little less income there is still financing available down to as low as 1.1 times the expenses.
The Management Company.
The experience of the property manager is also a consideration to financing. If you have purchased a commercial property or are considering doing so and you are not experienced owning or managing the multifamily properties it is essential to hire professional property management. The larger properties having a property management company is not even a second thought. When considering smaller units you may believe they are an unnecessary expense, but professional property managers increase your ability to qualify for funding your commercial project if you do not have management experience.
Often times for larger units the financing is based solely on the property. But for smaller multi family projects the lenders require a personal guarantee and the review, income, credit and assets just like a residential investment property. The typical down payment required is 20% to 30% for properties and the lender requires the borrower to have reserves for repairs, vacancies and other contingencies.
Multifamily commercial loans are generally structure with terms written with 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years terms with or without balloon payments. For this type of commercial loan expect to provide full documentation including:
1. Last 3 years property operating statement
2. Year to date property operating statement
3. Property rent roll
4. Last 3 years federal tax returns of borrower 5. Personal financial statement(s)
6. Digital photos of the subject property
There are multifamily commercial mortgage products that can help people with significantly impaired credit, these have higher commercial loan rates. For borrowers with great credit and assets that deserve the best rates, funding is also available .